Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Corner Bites Issue 4: Figure Armies

 Some people might call it wasting money...

But today, I'm going to talk about Army Building!


So what is Army Building?

It's usually a term for when you buy multiple copies a certain figure to eventually grow it to a size of an army for whatever purpose you have it mind; a best example would be to buy a certain Stormtrooper figure multiple times to have a miniature Galactic Empire in your home.

In my case, one of my army build targets was the Ultron from the Marvel Legends Iron Man, which you have probably seen countless times already from toy photographers who are in leagues better than me. Now, I bought 5 copies (and I need more as of this writing) of this simply to repurpose them as Ultron Sentries while using MCU's Ultron Prime as my main Ultron so I can do photos with Heroes (Avengers or my random mash ups) fighting off Ultron's invasion. So yeah, technically, my purpose for army building Ultron is for display and photography purposes.


Don't get me wrong though as Army Building doesn't strictly mean that you only have to buy copies of one figure alone. What do I mean by that? Check out the photo below!


The photo above actually exhibits two more variants of army building; first up is the fact that I somewhat built an army for a photo using different "characters" which involves a mixture of Clonetroopers, Stormtroopers and First Order Stormtroopers; so yeah, you can actually get different mooks and then jam them all together in a photo to emulate an evil organization/army much like how teaming up certain individuals can form a makeshift team.

The second one is just technically getting the same character but in different lines which is what I meant by "Army Building doesn't strictly mean that you only have to buy copies of one figure alone" and this is what I personally prefer when army building. (I also did this for my Vehicons) In the photo above, you see three Stormtroopers there (and no, I don't mean the First Order guys) and to be honest, each Stormtrooper is a different figure, one is the S.H.Figuarts (back), one is the Black Series (Rightmost) and the other one is the MAFEX (front) and they actually work, at the same time, a good way for me to actually know which 6 inch Stormtrooper is actually the best since each and every release have their own pros and cons. At this point, I still lack the Revoltech one and maybe the Bandai Kit. 

Army building definitely isn't for everybody, if you want to do so, then you have to be prepared to spend for it at the very least; then again, you can always spy for people who will let go of your targets for cheaper prices but you need patience for this, haha.

Anyway, that's about it for today's Corner Bites Issue, til' the next issue! 

No comments:

Post a Comment