Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Corner Bites Issue 5: DC 6-inch Dilemma No More!



Hey there! Night here and while I've mentioned in the FB Page and previous post that I'd be able to post more stuff, I still can't find time apparently to do proper figure shoots and put them up for review afterwards but for posts like this, I can definitely slip up some time as this requires 0 photo shoot sessions. Anyway, for Issue 5, it's literally just my rants and raves with the DC Action figures that were previewed this SDCC.



Ok, so I'll start with DC Collectibles first and if you guys read my Icons Batman review, then you know that I love the Icons line despite its obvious flaws, while it's not perfect, it's definitely a treat for because I love the sculpting detail they gave to their releases and the accessories they gave felt like I was getting what I paid for. However, if you've been monitoring reviews and releases, it didn't sell really well and thus, as of SDCC2017, DC Collectibles finally decided that the Icons line needed to end and it's time for its successor, the DC "Essentials" line and by that time, DC Collectibles released a video as demonstration of it's "great" frame. 

It severely disappointed me as Essentials, while looking like a spiritual successor to the Icons line, was intended to be back at the 7-inch scaling which already breaks any chance it'll work with Icons even. In addition to that, the video really gave me a bad impression since the poses being done were ridiculous at many times. I had to wait judgement since these figures were slated for a release 1 year later from their announcement. Jump to some months ago, I've seen the reviews and it does look as bad as I thought it would be. The body frames were really generic and with how much accessories Icons gave, Essentials came with little to none, like Flash came with none and only had a fist and an open hand to work, couldn't they even give an alternate hand version to form a pair at least? A good action figure for me is one where the mold looks neat and there's a fairly decent articulation and some accessories you can work with because I'll be frank here, what good will your oh-so-great articulation even do if you don't even have anything else to work with like extra hands at the very least. I'll give credit to where it's due though, Essentials articulation is really superb no doubt and as far as head sculpts are concerned, I definitely love the heads better than how they did the earlier Icons stuff but than those two, I still think Icons did it better. 

By the time Icons died, I was at a loss because I had no more constant source for my fix of 6-inch DC Characters. But then, come Wonder Festival 2018 Winter, Revoltech showed off a prototype of Batman! 

(Image taken from Kaiyodo's website.)

A DC comics character finally joining the Amazing Yamaguchi line was definitely one of the best news I got this year but knowing the interval of releases for the Amazing Yamaguchi line, it might be some time longer before we see the offerings grow (hopefully one new character on this coming Sunday's Wonder Festival Summer). 

That said, I really thought Revoltech was going to be my only source for DC stuff in the future because the only option remaining wasn't really enticing, which was Mattel's "DC Multiverse" line to which a friend of mine described as "it's 2018 and their articulation is still stuck in the early 2000's" until a few days ago... Everything changed when Mattel unveiled their lineup after their panel over at SDCC 2018! 


Upon initial glance at these new Multiverse figures, I thought to myself "Hot damn, these look great!". Then after checking up more on SDCC stuff, I stumbled upon PixelDan's interview with the people at Mattel and to my surprise, they said they really worked hard for these brand new molds and that they'd be giving more accessories than what was displayed over at the event, they highlighted the articulation improvements and those highlights certainly caught my attention. I certainly went 180 degrees from "ehhhh" to "WOULD BUY" on their lineup, I mean, DID YOU SEE THEIR BATMAN BEYOND? Like it looked so perfect with their new teen body and I'm definitely gonna try and snuff one out once it comes out. 

 (Photos of displays above were from ToyArk.)

Long story short, Mattel had REALLY stepped up their game this SDCC and it definitely shows on their lineup, their fans have been wanting this and that for a long time now and they finally gave it to them and this is what we got. That said, I think my fix for 6-inch DC Figures has come to light with Mattel's new offerings. I'm definitely looking forward to these and hopefully, they live up to the hype I felt when I first saw and heard about these changes. 

Last but certainly not least, Mattel also previewed something I've wanted for a long time now, a 6-inch Jason Todd Red Hood! Man, I'm a Batman fan since I was a child but as I grew older, my interest shifted more from the caped crusader to his edgy and extreme vigilante "son", so finally seeing a 6-inch Red Hood figure happening brings nothing but joy to me, so I really would to say... GOOD JOB MATTEL! 


Anyway, this ends this issue of Corner Bites but hey, as I've mentioned above, it's Wonder Festival very soon and if I find something interesting I can talk about, I'm definitely posting another issue. 'Til the next post then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment