Sunday, June 7, 2009

Review: [Max Factory] Figma #14 Hatsune Miku


Figure Info:
Manufacturer:
Max Factory
Series:
Vocaloid
Scale and Height:
Approximately 1/11 or 1/12 and stands 14cm approximate from base to head.


What's a figma?
Figma is one of
(if not) Max Factory's best selling line of figures. They're a bunch of articulated figures that come in quite good detail in form of several characters, mostly from Kyo-ani's series hits. Well, Imouto was one of them who gets the figma treatment as announced last year during Imouto's first (17th) birthday.

Anyway if you've been browsing in and out of my blog, you should be quite familiar with Hatsune Miku already, but anyway to those who still aren't, here's a photo of her.



For the brief delay, here's my review on Figma 14: Hatsune Miku

Details and Accuracy:
Well, since figmas are articulated, I can't be biased when it comes to it having joints, so, I won't be discussing the joints here. As for detail, the hair, dress and the usual Miku stuff you see are all nicely done in the figma. Details below. ^^



Although one seemingly detail that I look forward to in figures didn't pass my standards that well. What is it? It's the default face, somehow she looks distorted when I first took a glance of it which is why I postponed the buying of the figma by a week. The default face is also not the typical moe Miku you normally see floating around the net, which is why it doesn't pass my standards. Anyway, here's a pic of the default face.



Accessories and Extras:

All figmas comes with the generic figma base, although you can customize them with proper materials to make a mini-diorama like base. Now for the specifics, even with the face fail(at least for me) I've mentioned above, Miku figma comes with the lovable moe Miku face which represents either a vibrant smile or a face of a singing diva enjoying the song. Also, the figma comes with a bunch of extra pair of hands, what's good is that each extra hand comes in a pair so you can switch up and do several poses you can think of think of. Now, last but not least is Miku's possessions, a mike, a stand for it and of course, her ever mysterious leek. The figma comes with a pair of leeks, perfect for doing more kawaii poses for Miku-chan.

Poseability:
Well this is figma's major field, the poseability, with a correct mind set, there's virtually a LOT of possible poses for Miku-chan's figma. Well, there are quite a few drawbacks though... One is Miku figma being pretty much unable to sit without removing certain parts, well, correct me if I'm wrong in this one but I tried to do it but she really can't sit. Another drawback is, despite having the moe Miku face, she's mysteriously facing diagonally to her left, making it impossible for you to take good shots coming her right side. This is a big minus for photogenic appeal of a figure, well, if you do want to take shots from the right, you'll have to use the default face. But most of her charms come from the extra face IMO. Excluding the two, I guess figma Miku is really great in terms of poseabilty. Anyway here are some possible poses that I would like to share. ^^




Overall:
I guess for someone who isn't fond of visible articulation points like me, figma Miku did well to impress me, though with some drawbacks, she's still pretty much very worth it plus she's a little hard to find right now, so, I won't be surprised if some damn stores actually sell her in an overpriced state. Anyway, as for the price, figmas are quite cheap, despite the size, the poseability is more than enough for its worth and it's only a few bucks more expensive than some revoltechs.



Remarks:
For the rating...
Details and Accuracy - 8/10
Accessories - 10/10
Poseability - 8/10
Price - 10/10

Overall: 9/10

Actually I didn't expect her to get such good rating, haha. But anyway, some final words if she's worth it or not.

Verdict...

Hmm, Imouto's face may have different interpretations XD

Actually, for figma collectors and mikutards, she's really a must have. But for me, it took a while before I actually appreciated the full worth of it. I guess, it may leave some lingering thoughts at first when you see it boxed but you'll actually learn to love the figma rendition as time goes, so it really depends on your taste, it's always gonna be your pick. ^^

1 comment:

  1. haha the hair is an issue too.

    but she's a keeper...kasi everyone wants her

    ReplyDelete